Mr Simcock MB, ChB, DO, FRCP, FRCS, FRCOphth
Mr Simcock’s expertise:
• Cataract surgery
• Toric lenses for astigmatism and Symfony extended depth of focus implants
• Macular degeneration treatments
• Macular hole surgery
• Epiretinal membrane surgery
• Diabetic eye disease treatment
• Retinal vein occlusion treatment
• Retinal detachment repair
• Removal of floaters
Mr Simcock has complex cataract cases referred due to his combined skills as both a cataract and retinal surgeon. He will provide unbiased advice regarding the most appropriate intra ocular lens for you at the time of cataract surgery.
Qualifications, Training and Experience:
Ophthalmic training at prestigious teaching hospitals: Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Charing Cross Hospital and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. He is the only eye consultant in the peninsula that has been awarded Fellowship status by 3 Royal Colleges and is one of the most experienced eye surgeons in the region.
• Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
• Chair, Equivalence of Training Committee, Royal College of Ophthalmologists
• Member, Royal College of Ophthalmologists Training Committee
• Lead Trainer, Royal College of Ophthalmologists microsurgical course
• Lead Clinician, West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
Associations, awards and memberships:
• Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth)
• Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS)
• Fellow of Royal College of Physicians (FRCP)
• Member of UK and Eire Society of Cataract and refractive surgeons
• Member of European Society of Cataract and refractive surgeons
• Member of British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons
Since appointed Consultant in 1996, Mr Simcock has performed vision correction surgery on thousands of patients including complex cataract cases. Mr Simcock has pioneered new surgical techniques (limited posturing for macular hole surgery) and methods of service delivery that have been widely adopted in the UK and has a prestigious national clinical excellence award for his service to the NHS. He has published 3 books all with second editions and has 45 scientific articles in peer reviewed journals.
About Mr Simcock
Mr Simcock and his wife live in Budleigh Salterton with their two young children. They enjoy time as a family cycling, walking and spending time on the water and in their campervan.
A few words from Mr Simcock…
“Undergoing eye treatments can be a daunting experience. I will provide clear and detailed explanations of the options available and take time to establish the most appropriate treatment for you. My priority for cataract surgery is to provide the most suitable lens implant for your individual needs and correct astigmatism if required and give you appropriate options for reducing dependence on glasses.”