Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Mr Michael Smith MBChB BSc(Hons) FRCOphth
Mr Smith is a specialist in the treatment of cataract and glaucoma.
• Cataract surgery including complex cases and toric lenses
• All types of Glaucoma surgery and treatment
• Xen Glaucoma Implant
• Endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation (ECP)
Mr Smith is an experienced cataract surgeon, and has performed thousands of surgeries.
He is also experienced in all aspects of glaucoma surgery including: trabeculectomy, non-penetrating glaucoma surgery, glaucoma tube surgery, the Xen Glaucoma Implant and endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation (ECP).
In addition he was one of the first doctors in the UK to introduce Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT) into his daily practice.
Qualifications, Training and Experience:
Mr Smith completed medical training at the University of Glasgow Medical School. His general ophthalmic training was mainly in Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, the South West of England training scheme and Brisbane, Australia. In 2008 Mr Smith completed a specialist Fellowship in medical and surgical glaucoma at the University of Toronto, Canada.
Mr Smith also has a keen interest research and has over 20 peer reviewed publications.
NHS Positions held:
• Consultant at the West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, since 2008
• Consultant and Partner, Exeter Eye
• Research Lead, West of England Eye Unit
• Clinical Service Lead, West of England Eye Unit 2012-16
Associations, awards and memberships:
• Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists
• Member of both the UK and European Societies of Cataract Surgeons
• Member of the UK and Ireland Glaucoma Society
• International Member of the American Glaucoma Society
About Mr Smith
Outside work Michael relaxes by cycling, tennis and spending time with his family.
A few words from Mr Smith…
“For both cataract and glaucoma there are now a number of different options available for patients. It is, however, only after a detailed eye examination and discussion with a specialist that patients can decide what option is best for them.”