Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Mr Conor Ramsden
MA MB ChB MRCP FRCOphth PhD
Mr Ramsden’s Specialisms:
• Cataract surgery, including toric lens implants for astigmatism
• Complex cataract surgery, including secondary lens implants and lens exchange
• Treatments for age related macular degeneration
• Treatments for retinal vein occlusions
• Assessment and treatment of diabetic eye disease
• Epiretinal membrane surgery
• Macular hole surgery
• Retinal detachment surgery
• Genetic eye conditions
Qualifications, Training and Experience:
Mr Ramsden is an international prizewinning eye surgeon who completed most of his training at the prestigious Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, including an intensive vitreoretinal surgical fellowship. During that time, he undertook a PhD at the world renowned UCL and furthered research into the application of stem cells in age related macular degeneration and inherited retinal conditions. He is a highly respected researcher and has published more than 20 academic papers.
In his current post he is responsible for the most complex cataract surgery in the department as well as performing routine and complex retinal surgery.
Consultant ophthalmologist with a special interest in cataract and vitreoretinal surgery at:
• West of England Eye Unit, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation trust
• North Devon District Hospital
• Exeter Eye
Previous consultant post
• Locum Consultant at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London – 2020
Associations, awards and memberships:
• Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists
• Member of the Royal College of Physicians
• British & Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeon
• UK & Ireland Society for Cataract & Refractive Surgery
About Mr Ramsden
Mr Ramsden moved with his dermatologist wife and 3 young children in 2020 to the beautiful county of Devon. Having settled in Budleigh Salterton he enjoys spending time with his family, walking, swimming and is a keen cook.
A few words from Mr Ramsden…
“Coming to talk about surgery can be stressful and so I take my time to listen to my patients concerns and once I understand these, I ensure that I explain all the available options clearly. Once we have agreed together on what to do I work hard to get the desired result.”
Mr Ramsden and his fellow Ophthalmic Surgeons work very closely together to ensure all Exeter Eye patients have access to an experienced Consultant Eye Surgeon at all times.